Having the most beautiful images of your home to showcase it online is a vital step to getting a buyer to book a viewing. But if your home isn’t looking its very best, your photographer may not be able to capture its true loveliness. Here at AshdownJones, we spend a lot of very careful attention on making sure that every room, in every home we sell, shines with beauty. After all, your home needs to be prepped and ready for photography, and for viewings, to make sure the right buyer will fall in love with your home, from first click on Rightmove.
Adding welcoming warmth, luxury lifestyle and cosy comfort are all key in persuading a buyer to first view, and then to fall in love with your home. To help you know what to add, and where to focus your attention, here are our top twelve property styling secrets to help you turn a browser into a buyer!
1. Cushions– a really easy way to instantly update that fading sofa and add colour, texture and interest at the same time. Try an accent colour that complements the decoration in the room; perhaps take inspiration from a piece of art, or a favourite ornament. And choose cushions in plain but textured fabric, so they don’t easily date.
2. Rugs– a large, deep rug can transform a room, adding warmth and style. You don’t have to spend a fortune on them; decide on a budget and stick to it. You should be able to get a large rug, say 8’ x 4’, or even 12’ x 10’, for under £150 if you shop around. Plain are better than patterned, and long tufts better than a flat pile. Rugs are also a great way to disguise a dated carpet, or one past its best. Place under a coffee table to add a touch of cosiness.
3. Fruit – one of our staging secrets at AshdownJones is to fill a big glass vase full of fruit of just one type. For example, oranges, or shiny green apples look fantastic when piled into a tall vase. Not only does this add instant colour to your kitchen, it also looks stylish and different and will impress your buyers.
4. Flowers– the trick with flower arrangements is to make sure that they match not only the style of your home and the room itself. For example, long elegant Cala lilies are great on a large dining table, and little hand-tied posies are just right for a rustic kitchen. Add some seasonal colour too, for extra impact. So russets and reds in the cooler seasons, and yellows and pinks in the spring and summer. However, if these are going to clash with your colour schemes, play it safe and stick to neutrals: a big bunch of white and cream roses, freesias and gypsophila will look wonderful in any room. Mix and match the stems to suit the vases and rooms, so you get maximum use out of one bouquet.
5. Tempt their taste buds – a Victoria sponge cake on a pretty cake stand, with a cafetiere of coffee looks fabulous on a property brochure. Or try a stylish teapot with a plate of scones and strawberries – colourful and delicious!
6. Lay on the lifestyle – a bottle of bubbly (can be an empty one!) and two flutes on a table for two can add a romantic flavour to your property photographs. If you’re lucky enough to have a colourful sunset at your photoshoot, get your photographer to take a shot of the table with the sunset casting a rosy glow. Or else place a couple of glasses in front of the fire. Beautiful.
7. R&R corner – creating a little corner for rest and relaxation is easy; all you need is a comfy chair, and a side table with a lamp. Then pick some luxury magazines, or a decorative coffee table book. Add a stylish coffee cup to complete the look and let your viewers imagine themselves in your little corner of heaven.
8.Indulgent toiletries – hide away your Asda specials; this is the time to splurge! Brands matter in bathrooms and cloakrooms. Choose Molton Brown, The White Company and Jo Malone for those luxury touches that will make your buyers feel extra special.
9. Beautiful bed linen– especially for the master bedroom, where it matters most to your buyers. Choose a subtle style that isn’t too garish or flowery, and add some cushions and a good quality throw. For the other bedrooms, adding new plain bedding with some tasteful cushions and throws can update them inexpensively.
10. Towels– used towels never quite look the same as brand new ones; treat your home to some gorgeous new towels, and make sure that no one uses them – they’re just for show! Whip them away and hide them after each viewing so they stay looking their best.
11. A comfortable atmosphere– create an ambience to encourage your viewers to linger. Play relaxing background music, light your table lamps, and add scented candles in subtle fragrances to provide the finishing touch.
12. Don’t forget the outside – a few special touches to the outside of your home can make a big difference. Try adding a flowering pot plant to the centre of your patio table, and some candle lanterns for a pretty welcome. A string of fairy lights across a terrace can transform it into a romantic spot your viewers will fall in love with.
Property styling isn’t complicated; a little spend on the right accessories can go a long way. Beautifully styled properties attract more clicks on Rightmove, more viewings, and more offers. You’ll be moving before you know it.
And the best thing about buying some special accessories to sell your home? You get to take them all with you to the next one!
Would you like to know how our property styling secrets could help add thousands to the value of your home? Drop us a line at email@example.com, chat to us via Facebook or call us on 015394 88811.